SAINT SATURNIN’S – VERNET LES BAINS

Rue du Château

66820 VERNET-LES-BAINS

Phone : +33 4 68 05 53 25 // +33 4 68 05 41 02

Description

This very attractive 12th Century Romanesque church was initially the adjoining castle’s chapel and became the parish church after the floods of 1710 had ruined the original building. Several decorative elements are not to be missed: the stalls from St Martin du Canigou's Abbey, the Romanesque granite column, the relics which include St Saturnin's left wrist. Visits are restricted to guided tours - from April to October: Old Vernet and the church guided tours, departing from the Tourist Information Office at 4pm. The fine romanesque church at the very top of the old village dates from the twelfth century. Originally built as a chapel for the adjacent castle, it became the parish church after its predecessor was washed away in a flood of 1710. It has several interersting features, including stalls which came from the abbey of St Martin du Canigou, a pre-romanesque granite column, and a treasure with relics of the church’s patron, St Saturnin. Guided tours, starting from the tourist office, are organised in the holiday season.

Groups

yes

Spoken languages

  • French

Label(s)

  • Patrimoine XXème siècle

Pets welcomed

no

Average visit duration : 30 min

Group Visits

  • Free group visit on request

Average visit duration : 30 min

Payment methods

  • Cheques and postal orders
  • Cash

not specified

The page you want to view does not yet contain element ...

Look around and/or generate the route

km

Localisation intro

Route calculation